Saturday 12 November 2011

Fings ain't wot they used t'be (27/4/06)


Greenock has a bad reputation. It's not so much a one-horse town, as a no-horse town. If you tether your steed to a lamp-post, you're likely to come back and find that its shoes have been stolen, its hair has been cut off and there's someone waiting to fight you for what's left of it. Greenock Town Hall, a late-Victorian building famous for its 250-feet high tower, is only a couple of miles from where some of my lot landed at the end of the 1850s. They liked it so much that they decided to go back to a life of poverty in Ireland for a few years, then try their luck further up the Clyde. I'd not been in the building for about 20 years, and I'd never been in the hall, proper. The bar had been set up in a room I recognised from a past life and, thankfully, the noise and general confusion prevented me from seeing any ghosts of people long dead and much missed.

I'd not seen Morrissey on a stage for a similar length of time, back in the days when not just he, but everyone was thinner, lighter on their feet and had fewer grey hairs. Of course, tickets cost a lot less back then, too, and you almost always got value for money. About 10 minutes before he and his band of merry men emerged, I heard a song I'd not heard for an even longer time, one I used to play from my mother's collection; Max Bygraves' version of Lionel Bart's "Fings ain't wot they used t'be". I sang along to it, and wondered how many others in the audience not only knew all the words, but felt that it was highly appropriate, under the circumstances. I also wondered how many of the skinheads, fat-heads, no-necks and general ne'er-do-wells in the crowd felt that The Smiths spoke to them back in the day.

The lights went out, the crowd sang "Morrissey, Morrissey, Morrissey" more passionately than Greenock Morton supporters would shout for the team at Cappielow, and on he came, shaking hands with people at the front and trying hard to be a jolly fellow. I'd not been able to get "The First Of The Gang To Die" out of my head for days, so it was great to hear that as the opener. Then came "Still Ill". The crowd went wild, and he asked how the audience could still be pleased to hear such songs. Don't be silly! Off came his jacket.

I've never been a fan of his solo material, so many of the songs meant nothing, but I recognised some from the last album and the current one. Put it this way, he didn't do "Every Day Is Like Sunday". He did "Girlfriend in A Coma", not one of my favourites, but I sang along, anyway. He changed his shirt from a rather tight brown one, which matched those of his band, to a black one with a more flattering fit, to match mine, I hope. There was an obvious lull in the set around the 40-minute mark, with a few dull and boring slower songs, then the pace picked up, before a blistering version of "How Soon Is Now". Off came the shirt, off went the band. A measly one-song encore ("Irish Blood, English Heart") followed, with Moz in a canary-yellow number, then he flew away, around an hour and 20 minutes after he started.

Was it worth 32 quid? No, of course not, but it WAS Morrissey, and I justified it by telling myself I'd not seen him before, and I'd never see him again. A few drunks at the back grumbled on their way out of the hall, deflated, perhaps, by the sudden ending but, all in all, he stole their hearts away.

No comments:

Post a Comment